Type in the content of your new page here.A community perspective from the 1840s to 1920s contains entries for the community from the Suffolk Directories of White (1844) and Kelly (1929) and William Dutt’s gazeteer of Suffolk (1927; first prepared in the 1890s)


BRAMPTON, on the Beccles road, 4.5 miles N.E. of Halesworth, is a pleasant village and parish, containing 384 souls, and 1966A. 2R. 14P. of fertile land. The manor and advowson have been held by the Lemans since 1600, and now belong to the Rev. George O. Leman, of Brampton Hall, a handsome red-brick mansion, in a small, but well-wooded park, erected after the old hall had been destroyed by fire, in 1733. The Earl of Gosford, Mr. Henry Jex, Thos. Farr, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish, and part of it is a small manor, called Hales Hall. The Church (St. Peter) is a small structure, with a tower and five bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £20, is in the patronage of the Rev. G. O. Leman, M.A., and incumbency of the Rev. Thos. O. Leman, B.A., who has a good residence, 11A. of glebe, and a yearly modus of £420 in lieu of tithes. The Town's Houses and about 3A. of marsh land let for £8, and a house in four tenements, let for £3 a-year, are vested with the churchwardens for the relief of the poor. About 12a. of meadow land, called the Town Fen, is let for £30 a-year, and the rent is applied in the service of the church. The original acquisition of the property is unknown. A Sunday School here has £9. 6s. 8d. yearly from Leman's Charity.

Cleveland John, veterinary surgeon and vict. Dog
Halifax Richard, blacksmith
Lay Wm. joiner
Lemon Rev George Orgill, M.A. Brampton Hall
Leman Rev Ts. Orgill, B.A. Rectory
Quadling Edw. wheelwright & smith
Sales John, blacksmith
Suggate Thomas, beehouse
Todd Robert, bricklayer

Butcher John
Chipperfield Jno.
Clutton Samuel,

Crickmer John
Gibson J.
Hamblin Wm.
Hamblin Wm. jun.
Jex Hy.(owner)
Quadling Chas.
Read John
Skoulding Sarah
Squire Wm.
Woods George


BRAMPTON is a village and parish (with a station 1.25 miles north-west on the East Suffolk branch of the London and North Eastern railway), 5.5 miles south from Beccles and 5 north-east from Halesworth, in the Eye division of the county, Blything hundred, petty sessional division and union, Halesworth and Saxmundham county court district, rural deanery of North Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich. The church of St. Peter is a flint building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: in 1857 it was reseated with open benches and a new desk and pulpit of oak were erected, and in 1883 a fine new screen was plated in the church: the stained windows include two memorial windows to the Rev. Thomas Orgill Leman M.A. rector from 1837, d. 1873, and another to Henry Jex, d. 1862: there are 170 sittings. The register dates from about the year 1760. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £411, with 8 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of and held since 1914 by the Rev. Herbert Alfred Phelps Gardiner M. A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of Stoven. In the churchyard is a marble cross, on the base of which are inscribed the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918. The town estates produce £4 yearly, which is given to the poor, and about 12 acres of meadow land, called the "Town Fen", is let for £20 yearly, which sum is applied to church purposes. There is also an endowment left in 1805 by Miss Leman, to this parish and the parishes of Cratfield and Redisham, for the support of Sunday schools, from which, this parish receives about £6 yearly. Brampton Hall is the residence of Mrs.Coney. Miss Beryl Naunton Leman is lady of the manor, and Messrs.W.J.Overland and Sons are the principal landowners. The soil is partly mixed and partly heavy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, roots and sugar beet. The area is 2,074 acres: the population in 1921 was 336.

Sexton , George Last.
Post, T.& T.E. D. Office(telephone calls available to places within a limited distance).Letters through Beccles. Wangford is the nearest M.O.office.


Brampton (station l and a quarter m. distant) is a village on the main road between Beccles and Halesworth. In 1606 the lord and patron of this place was Sir John Leman, who ten years later became Lord Mayor of London. To him was dedicated a curious poem dealing with the Gunpowder Plot, he being described as " the high-topt-cedar of Lebanon, chief magistrate of the famous city of London." The dedicator of this poem, which is entitled " Mischief's Mysterie, or Treason's Masterpiece," was John Vicars, "who translated and very much dilated it" from the Latin of the Rev. Dr Herring. The lordship of the manor is still held by the Lemans, who possess a portrait of Sir John in his mayoral robes. The church was originally E.E., but is now chiefly Perp.