Blythburgh Common: map of enclosure award, 1862

In 1862, a southern portion of Blythburgh Common on the border with Westleton was enclosed and divided between 22 persons with common rights. The area was in the marshy valley of the northern tributary of the Dunwich River and the allocated plots were divided by ditches.

Blythburgh; section of Tithe Map showing position of above 1862 enclsures


The area is now part of the Walberswick National Nature Reserve. In the left hand photograph, the arrow marks the position and direction of alignment of the ditch separating plots 1 and 3, as it appeared in August, 2008.