Recent Changes

Sunday, May 15

  1. page (ald) School edited ... SOURCE AND DATE EADT 13.7.79 SUBJECT ALDRINGHAM SUBJECTALDRINGHAM Green School New sch…
    EADT 13.7.79
    New schooling in an old school
    A small village school on quiet heathland near Leiston is to become the first in East Anglia to use teaching methods based on the work of Austrian scientist and philosopher, Dr Rudolf Steiner.
    wife, Sally.
    Its four-year dormancy since closing in 1975 is due to end in September when the first youngsters start at the independent community school which aims to be "a small social organism within society as a whole."
    The welfare of any Steiner school was largely in the hands of its teachers as a group of co-workers.
    Lange said.
    "Whether it is money given towards their child's education or services given, it is all taken into account."
    The education method to be used is based on Steiner's deep insight into the stages of development of the human being, and class teachers will follow a curriculum which allows him or her to support the unfolding of pupils' personalities.
    (view changes)

Wednesday, December 16

  1. page home edited {rum_hund_bound.jpg} Blog at {rum_hund_bound.jpg} Hundr…
    {rum_hund_bound.jpg}Blog at

    Hundred Boundary at Rumburgh ----
    "The villages of England are spread over the countryside like cob-webs in a gorse bush on an autumn morning. The thread of their past history is spun round the projecting contours of their buildings —church, inn and manor-house. Where the arterial road with its petrol stations and tea gardens has torn away, as it were, the centre of the web, the heart of the village, some filaments of olden days still hang sheltered by an old cottage or a field name. We cannot mend the broken thread, we cannot trace the history of any village in its entirety, but we can examine what is left, and perhaps, by searching about a little in the dusty leaves of court rolls and other documents, discover something overlooked". (Janet Becker, 1933)
    (view changes)
    11:45 pm

Monday, November 24

  1. page (sou) Southwold edited ... Harbour timeline Buss Creek {sheriffes_ed1.pdf}
    Harbour timeline
    Buss Creek
    (view changes)
    12:04 am

Sunday, November 23

  1. 11:58 pm

Thursday, November 13

  1. page (wal)Walberswick edited Yeoman ... Sea which roars and roarsand tumbles at {IMAGE0270.jpg} ... beckoning-a lan…

    Sea which roars androarsand tumbles at
    beckoning-a landmark of distinctionofdistinction - until
    But the history of Walberswick Church is a tragedy of human effort baulked and thwarted by the cruel hand of fate. In the time of the Domesday – and maybe before-a thatched religious edifice stood on the marshes South of the present church, but this was demolished in 1473, and its "last visible remains" disappeared about two hundred years back, when a certain Robert Blackmore ploughed up its ancient Cemetery. This older church seems to have been a building of some importance, for we read that it was "adorned with images and accommodated with an organ," whilst in the fourth year of Henry the Sixth's reign work was begun on the steeple, which was intended to be a copy of that in Tunstall, Norfolk. However, the inhabitants of Walberswick apparently thought that their native town was worthy of a better place of worship than their fathers had erected, and they accordingly subscribed towards the erection of a new building - a building which was to be more suitable for a town of the size and importance of Walberswick, for Walberswick at that period was a port which, through its trading and fishing vessels, was known a long way from the shores of its home county. This new church-an edifice of a certain magnificence- contained two aisles, besides at least two altars and an organ, whilst it also possessed a chapel to Saint Mary the Virgin, and the images of St. Andrew, St. James, St. John, the Trinity and Our Lady, these latter being removed form the original building.
    The roof was covered with lead, and six pillars and seven arches separated the aisles from the nave.
    This building consists of flint with stone dressings, and has a nave, chancel, and embattled and pinnacled Western tower nearly a hundred feet in height containing one bell. Entrance is gained by a rather beautiful South porch, containing some splendid carving and two windows. But, as may be readily understood when it is realised that the edifice is but a remnant of its former greatness, the interior is somewhat disappointing. True it is, that the nave has a large number of floorstones, but unfortunately the matrices are missing, although in the chancel are several more, one of these bearing the date 1534.
    There are the remains of a beautiful screen, dating from the fifteenth century, on which are delicately carved panels, believed to have been originally decorated with various paintings. The pulpit, is of oak, also splendidly carved, whilst the octagonal font is exceptionally good and well preserved, the figures of birds and animals which decorate its pedestal being almost life-like, so clear-cut and plain they appear.
    this bearing the simplethesimple inscription :
    "To the Glory of God and in honour of Walberswick men who fell in the War 1914-1919."
    In connection with this the story of a different tragedy is told by another tablet on which is the following:
    "In Memory of 7 Fishermen, Parishioners of Walberswick, who Drowned at Sea, Sepr.30th 1883", after which appear the names of those who died. And studying this humble epitaph it is as well to realise the truth of the saying that " peace hath her victories no less renowned than war," and that men whose hazardous calling leads them in all weathers and all extremes of climate into the screaming wastes of the sea, that other people may be supplied with food, deserve a niche for themselves in the wall of self-sacrifice, even as others who dared everything when their country called - and not in vain- for succour.
    For although no one would wish to belittle the men who gave up everything to fight and die for their country, it should be understood that even at the present time in these alleged piping days of peace, people are risking, in cold blood and without the fervent enthusiasm born of the maddening clash of arms, their very existence in work of which the average man knows nothing-work which, prosaic and ordinary enough to them, is yet worthy of ranking equally with many a deed of which the poets sing. And such an epitaph as the above is usually all that tells their tale - a tale which only imagination can piece together and make understood in all its stark and grim reality.
    France in 1913.1918. Another soldier
    chain of events whicheventswhich brought it
    Strange it is how small things have a bearing upon the prosperity of a people, and stranger still when religion is partly to blame for the decline of a town. For the vagaries of the latter undoubtedly contributed to the cause responsible for Walberswick's downfall. At one tine possessing a large population, and doing an immense trade in fish, besides being one of the chief ports for the shipping of butter and cheese-in 1451 it had thirteen barques trading to Iceland and the Faro Islands, besides twenty-two fishing vessels-the town had a succession of charters from the thirteenth to the seventeenth centuries exempting its tradesmen from tolls and taxes upon their business. At the Dissolution, however, when Roman Catholicisim passed to a considerable extent out of favour, fish began to lose its value from a religious point of view, and partly through this the prosperity of the industry began to decline, whilst the gradual crumbling of the erstwhile mighty Dunwich also had its effect upon the industries of its smaller neighbour.
    its former visitations. Andvisitations.And perhaps the
    Another cause of Walberswick’s downfall was an inundation – flood and fire seem to be bedfellows! -in the middle of the sixteenth century, when much valuable timber and property was destroyed.
    of those to whomtowhom beauty calls
    November 11th 1927.
    Dutt's Suffolk, 1927
    rooms to let butletbut during the
    Whites, 1844
    burned; In 1683 it1683it was again
    Kelly's 1929
    separated from Southwold bySouthwoldby the river
    Sir Ralph Barrett MacnaughtenBarrettMacnaughten Blois bart.
    of the manor andmanorand principal landowner.
    Tel. Call Office. LettersOffice.Letters through Southwold,
    Railway station (L.&N.E.)
    (view changes)

Thursday, October 9

  1. page (cra) Phantom railway edited ... Conclusion of ceremony of the cutting of the first sod of the Suffolk Light Railway at Westerf…
    Conclusion of ceremony of the cutting of the first sod of the Suffolk Light Railway at Westerfield, 3rd May 1902, the VIPs make their way from the enclosure through the guard of honour back to Westerfield GER station
    with Laxfield (Gorham's)(Goram's) Mill in
    Last day of Middy Line
    (view changes)

Saturday, July 14

Sunday, May 13

  1. page (mid) Things of the spirit edited {IMG_3688.JPG} {IMG_3689.JPG} {IMG_3690.JPG} {IMG_3691.JPG}
    {IMG_3689.JPG} {IMG_3690.JPG}
    (view changes)
    11:58 am
  2. file IMG_3691.JPG uploaded
    11:58 am