A community perspective from the 1840s to 1920s contains entries for the community from the Suffolk Directories of White (1844) and Kelly (1929) and William Dutt’s gazeteer of Suffolk (1927; first prepared in the 1890s)

White


UGGESHALL, a parish and scattered village, 5.5 miles E.N.E, of Halesworth, and N.W. by W, of Southwold, contains 295 souls, and 1455 acres of land. The Earl of Stradbroke is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to Mrs. Allen, Rev. J. Borton, Rev. B. Chapman, Rev. J. Vincent, and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Mary) is a small ancient structure, but the tower went to decay about a century ago. The rectory, valued in K.B. at .£13. 6s. 8d.,and in 1835, at £614, with that of Sotherton annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Earl of Stradbroke, and incumbency of the Rev. W. C. Edgell, M .A., who has here a neat residence and 42A. of glebe. The tithes of Uggeshall have been commuted for a yearly modus of £390. A pleasure fair is held here on Trinity Tuesday. The poor have a cottage given by one of the Platers family, let for £4, and an allotment of 4A 37P. awarded at the enclosure in 1799, and now let for £10. lOs. per annum. They have also 10s. a year, out of land called Gander's Hill, given by an unknown donor.

Baxter Saml. shopkeeper
Bardwell Mr Thomas
Dunnett Richard, blacksmith
Racer Ann U Bee Philip
Edgell Rev Wm. Chas. M.A. incbt. Rectory
Kent Wm. wheelwgt. & parish clerk.
Rockhill Wm. corn miller
Wright James, vict. Buck
Youngman Mrs. Ann

FARMERS
Bardwell Charles, Manor House
Baxter Ann
Bence Philip
Churchman Edw.
Eade Wm.
Girling Jas.
Gray Samuel
Leman Timothy
Youngman Wm.

CARRIER
Martin, from the Buck to Southwold & Yarmouth, Tuesday.



Kelly

UGGESHALL is a village and parish about 4 miles south-east from Brampton station on the Ipswich and Lowestoft section of the London and North Eastern railway, 4 north-west from Southwold and 5.5 east-northeast from Halesworth, in the Eye division of the county, Blything hundred, petty sessional division and union, Halesworth and Saxmundham county court district, rural deanery of North Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich. The church of St. Mary is an ancient fabric, principally of flint, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, a porch on the south side, a dilapidated western tower, re-roofed in 1920, and one bell: the organ, presented to the church in 1873, was enlarged and improved in 1890, and there is a handsome octagonal font, restored by a former rector in 1856, the cover of which is surmounted by a " pelican in her piety:" there is a brass in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the communion plate includes a paten, chalice dated 1568, and an alms dish: the church affords 135 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Sotherton, joint net yearly value £500, with residence, in the gift of the Eaarl of Stradbroke, and. held since 1886 by the Rev. Arthur Ashton B.D. of Queen's College, Oxford. A piece of land allotted to the poor in compensation for right of common produces a yearly rent of £4, and this sum, together with the rent of the town house, now let at £4 10s. a year, is distributed in coals; Ganders' is a charity value 10s. yearly, distributed among the widows. The Earl of Stradbroke K.C.M.O., C.B., C.V.O., C.B.E.,D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor and owners of nearly all the land. The toil is mixed; sob-soil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas, beans and turnips. The area is 1,490 acres of land and 3 of water; the population in 1921 was 224 in the civil and 368 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Sexton, Henry Leveret.
Post Office. Letters through Beccles. Wangford is the nearest M.O.& T. office.

Dutt

Uggeshall church (4 m. S E. of Brampton and 4 N.W. of Southwold) is Perp., with earlier survivals. Note the Perp. font with cover.