A community perspective from the 1840s to 1920s contains entries for the community from the Suffolk Directories of White (1844) and Kelly (1929) and William Dutt’s gazeteer of Suffolk (1927; first prepared in the 1890s)


White

UBBESTON, near one of the sources of the river Blythe, 6.5 miles S.W. of Halesworth, and N.N.E. of Framlingham, is a village and parish containing 243 inhabitants, and 1207A, 1R.. 14P. of land. Lord Huntingfield is lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to the Rev. R. H. Frere, Mr. Clutterbuck, and several smaller owners. The manor was held by St. Neots priory, and was granted at the dissolution to John Pope, Esq. It was for a long period the seat and property of the Sones, whose heiress carried it in marriage, in the l 7th century, to the ancient family of Kemp, who for some time occupied the Hall, now a farm house. The Church ( St. Peter) is a discharged vicarage, valued K.B. at £6. 13. 4d., but endowed with the rectorial tithes by Mrs. Mary Sone, in 1685. The glebe is nearly 7A., and the tithes have been commuted for a yearly modus of £316. 16s. The Rev, E. Holland is patron, and the Rev. Samuel Badeley, L.L.B., of Yoxford, is the incumbent. The Poor's Estate consists of two cottages, a garden, and a blacksmith's shop, let for £12. 3s. a year, which is sometimes improperly expended in the service of the church, instead of being distributed among the poor parishioners.

Collett Capt. Anthony
Oxborough Thos. beer house
Prime Thos. shopkeeper
Smyth Charles, corn miller
Smyth Simon, blacksmith

FARMERS.
Allen Ann
Canham James
Cobbold Thos. Ubbeston Hall
Crow John
Flaxman Hy.
Huson Robt.
Kemp James
Prime Robert
Skeet Wm.



Kelly

UBBESTON is a parish and village, 6 miles southwest from Halesworth station on the Ipswich and Yarmouth and Lowestoft line of the London and North Eastern railway, in the Eye division of the county, Blything hundred, petty sessional division and union, Halesworth and Saxmundhnm county court district, rural deanery of South Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich. The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of rubble and flint, chiefly of Norman and Early English date, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower of brick, of the Tudor period, containing 2 bells: the interior was restored and reseated in 1865, and further restorations of the exterior and the windows were made in 1878 at a cost of £253, and again in 1892 at a cost of £100: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1555. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £348, with 7 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Simeon Trustees, and held since 1917 by the Rev.Thomas Samuel England, who is also vicar of and resides at Cratfield. There is a charity of about £3 yearly net value. Lord Huntingfield is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is chiefly of a heavy description, with a subsoil of clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, turnips, with some land in pasture. The area is 1,205 acres; the population in 1921 was 125. By a Local Government Board Order which came into operation March 25th, 1884, a small detached part of this parish was amalgamated with Cratfield.

Parish Clerk, Herbert Welton.
Letters through Halesworth. Peasenhall is the nearest M.O.& T.Office.



Dutt

Ubbeston church (6 m. W. of Halesworth) is a Dec. and Perp. building with tower and porch of brick. Most of the windows are modern. Note (1) the pulley-block of a sacring-bell; (2) the nave roof; and (3) a tombstone in the N.W. corner of the nave. Until the Dissolution the manor belonged to St Neot's Priory.