A community perspective from the 1840s to 1920s contains entries for the community from the Suffolk Directories of White (1844) and Kelly (1929) and William Dutt’s gazeteer of Suffolk (1927; first prepared in the 1890s)

Only Kelly's Directory is available for Thorpeness

Kelly


THORPENESS is a rapidly increasing Garden Village by the sea, about 2 miles north of Aldeburgh and a quarter of a mile south of the Ness from which it takes its name. Thorpeness "halt" on the Aldeburgh and Saxmundham branch of the London and North Eastern railway is 97 miles from London and under half a mile from the village. The County (Residential) Club was opened in 1912 and reopened in 1921 by Lady Huntingfield: there is a concert hall and theatre seating 300, a large dancing hall, 8 hard tennis courts and an 18 hole golf course. The water works are the property of Thorpeness Limited. The Meare, an artificial lake some 61 acres in extent, was opened for public use in 1913. The Gannon Memorial Mission Room was built in 1899, at a cost of £711, defrayed by The Gannon Trust; it is licensed for public worship, and will seat 100 persons. The Ogilive Working Men's Club was erected in 1925 at a cost of £8,000, which was left by Mr. and Mrs. Ogilvie for this purpose; 12 alms-houses were erected in 1928 and endowed by Mr.and Mrs.A.Ogilvie;

Post & M. O. Office. Letters through Leiston, which is the nearest T. office Post Office, Thorpeness. Letters through Leiston.
Aldringham is the nearest M. O. office and Aldeburgh the nearest T. office.
Railway Station, Thorpeness (halt) (L.& N.E.)