A community perspective from the 1840s to 1920s contains entries for the community from the Suffolk Directories of White (1844) and Kelly (1929) and William Dutt’s gazeteer of Suffolk (1927; first prepared in the 1890s)

White


STOVEN, a small scattered village and parish, 5 miles N.E. by E. of Halesworth, has127 souls, and 762A. lR. 31 P. of land, mostly freehold. Earl Stradbroke is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to Mrs. Bevan, Mrs. Button, T. Norton, Frederick Barne, Esq., and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Margaret) was appropriated to Wangford Priory, and at the dissolution, the rectory was granted to the Duke of Norfolk. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1835 at £69. The Rev. George Orgill Leman, M.A., of Brampton Hall, is impropriator, patron, and incumbent, and has a yearly modus of £200 in lieu of tithes. A cottage, called the Town House, let to three tenants for £6. 6s. per annum ; and about 2 acres of land, let for £2. 5s., have been held by the churchwardens from immemorial for the relief of the poor.

Directory:- John Davy, joiner; Mr Thomas Gooch; Wm. Vinyard, vict., Cherry Tree; and Edward Andrews, Martin Gooch Button, William Eastaugh, Robert Gooch, John Rockhill, and Edgar Smith, farmers.


Kelly

STOVEN is a parish and village, 2.5 miles sonth-east from Brampton station on the Ipswich and Lowestoft section of the London and North Eastern railway, and 5 north-east-by-east from Halesworth, in the Eye division of the county, union, petty sessional division and hundred of Blything, county court district of Halesworth and Saxmundham, rural deanery of North Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich. The church of St. Margaret is a small but ancient Norman edifice consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower containing one bell: it was thoroughly repaired in 1849, and is seated throughout with open benches, affording 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £110, with residence and 8 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1914 by the Rev. Herbert Alfred Phelps Gardiner M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, who is also rector of and resides at Brampton. The Earl of Stradbroke K.C.M.O., C.T.O., O.B., C.B.E., D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor, and the trustees of the late Major Miles Barne are the chief landowners. The soil is partly mixed and partly heavy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 806 acres; the population in 1921 was 117.

Sexton, Austin Suggate. Letters through Beccles.
Wangford is the nearest M. O. & T. office.

Dutt

Stoven (2 and a half m. S.E. of Brampton) has a small church, with Norm. doorway. The rest of the church is rebuilt in the Norm. style.