A community perspective from the 1840s to 1920s contains entries for the community from the Suffolk Directories of White (1844) and Kelly (1929) and William Dutt’s gazeteer of Suffolk (1927; first prepared in the 1890s)

White


LINSTEAD PARVA, or Lower Linstead, is a parish, with its houses scattered near three Greens, from 4 to 5 miles W. of Halesworth. It has 205 inhabitants, but only 554A.1R 24P. of land exclusive of road: Its three Greens comprise 33A.3R.20P. The manor anciently belonged to Sibton abbey, and the church to Mendham Priory. Lord Huntingfield is now lord of the manor, improproietor, and patron of the church (St. Margaret,) which is a small structure, with a belfry.The living is a perpetual curacy, value at £78, and now in the incumbency of the Rev. Samuel Blois Turner, BA., together with that of Linstead Magna. Samuel L. Cunningham Esq. Thos. Burroughs, Esq., the Rev. Jeremy Day, W. Cutts, F.Nicker and a few smaller owners, have estates in the parish.

A copyhold house, garden, and one and a half acres of land, called Taylor’s Pightle, have been held from time immemorial for the reparation of the church, and are now let for £9 per annum.

Kelly

LINSTEAD PARVA (or Lower) is a village and parish, 5 miles west from division of the county, Blything hundred, petty sessional division and union, Halesworth and Saxmundham county court district, rural deanery of North Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, The church of St. Margaret is a small but ancient building, of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave ,south porch and western turret of wood containing one bell: in 1891 the church was restored at a cost of about £350, and in 1895 the south porch was rebuilt at a further cost of about £30: there are 80 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540. The living is a vicarage annexed to Linstead Magna and Chediston, joint net yearly value £350, and residence, in the gift of the Church Patronage Society, and held since 1927 by the Rev. David Twigg, of the London College of Divinity. The town estate, valued at £7 yearly, is applied to the repairs of the church. Lord Huntingfield is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is heavy, with subsoil of clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, turnips and pasture. The area is 567 acres; the population in 1921 was 113. By Local Government Board Order, which came into operation March 25th,1885, a detached part of Withersdale, in Hoxne Union, was amalgated with this parish.

Parish Clerk, James Hurren, sen
Letters from Halesworth, which is the nearest M.O. office & Laxfield the nearest T. Office.

Dutt

Linstead Parva church (three and a half miles W. of Halesworth) is E. E. The chancel is unaltered, except for a Perp. window in the S. wall and the chancel arch, which seems to have fallen with portions of the N. and S. walls of the nave. The E. window is a two-light with roll mouldings; there is a small lancet in the N. wall, and a larger one opposite, also a small door of the same date. Note also a lancet in the W. wall, with a niche on either side; some restored poppy--heads, and the font.