A community perspective from the 1840s to 1920s contains entries for the community from the Suffolk Directories of White (1844) and Kelly (1929) and William Dutt’s gazeteer of Suffolk (1927; first prepared in the 1890s)

White


LINSTEAD MAGNA is a parish of scattered houses, from 4 to 5 miles W.S.W. of Halesworth, comprising only 93 souls, and 1304 A. of land, besides about 6A. of roads. Lord Huntingfield is lord the manor, but part of the soil belongs to G. Parkyns, Esq., J. P. Scrivener, Sir Robt. S. Adair, Mr. G. Bates, and several smaller poprietors. The Church (St. Peter) stands in a field nearly is the centre of the parish. It was partly appropriated to Mendham priory, by Roger de Huntingfield. Lord Huntingfield is now impropriator, and also patron of the perpetual curacy, valued, in 1835, at £97, and now enjoyed by the Rev. S. B. Turner, B.A., together with Linstead Parva. His Lordship has a yearly modus of £315 in lieu of tithes, out of which he pays £82 to the incumbent. The FARMERS are - Geo. Bates, Mary Bedingfield, John Girling, John Holmes, Charles Lee, Joshua Moore, Alfred Read, Geo. Read, James Read, Wm. Read, Linstead Hall ; Robert Smith, and Edward Woods.


Kelly

LINSTEAD MAGNA is a parish, consisting of a few scattered farms, 5 miles west from Halesworth station on the London and North Eastern line to Yarmouth, in the Eye division of the county, Blything hundred, petty sessional division and union, Halesworth and Saxmundham county court district, rural deanery of North Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich. The church of St. Peter, standing in the centre of the parish in an enclosed piece of ground surrounded by fields, was originally an ancient building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell: owing to its dilapidated state, it was partly demolished in 1924, and services are no longer held in the church. The registers date from the year 1654. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Linstead Parva. Lord Huntingfield is lord of the manor. The soil is clayey, with a subsoil of clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, turnips and pasture. The area is 1,325 acres; the population in 1921 was 67 in the civil and 180 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Letters through Halesworth, via Cratfield, which is the nearest M. O. office; Fressingfield & Laxfield are the nearest T. offices








Dutt

Linstead Magna church (5 m. W. of Halesworth).The nave is almost a ruin, and services have for many years been conducted in the chancel (plain Early Dec.)