IMGP1692_red.jpg
A cottage plot enclosed from former common land belonging to Leiston

The earliest map of this area was produced by Hodskinson in the 1780s. It shows a line of heathland commons stretching along the valley of the Hundred River from Knodishall to Aldringham and Thorpe. This map also shows that in those days Coldfair Green was called Coldford Green. This ford was the main crossing of the Hundred River linking Leiston with the land route to Ipswich through Snape.

coldford_green.jpg
Greens and commons of Knodishall, Leiston and Aldringham in 1780s

When the Tithe Map for the Leiston Apportionment was made Coldford Green had been enclosed and 16 landowners had been allocated plots for tenements and cottages.
coldfair_tithe.jpg
Coldfair Green in the 1840s (Leiston Tithe Map)


Tithe Apportionment for the above land
609
Richard Garrett
Cllement Hill
Tenement and garden
610
Richard Garrett
Elizabeth Fryer
Tenement and garden
611
Richard Garrett
Henry Smith
Tenement and garden
612
Hoden Trustees
James Buck
Tenement and garden
613
Charles Kersey
George Gildersleeves
Old House Field
614
Charles Kersey
Himself
House and garden
614a
Charles Kersey
George Gildersleeves
Barn, drift and yard
615
Charles Kersey
George Gildersleeves
Barn Field
616
Charles Kersey
George Gildersleeves
Gibb's Meadow
617
John Kemp
Elizabeth Curtis
Tenement and garden
618
John Kemp
William Owles
Tenement and garden
619
Isaac Gibbs
Nicholas Joseph
Tenement and garden
620
Isaac Gibbs
Himself
Tenement and garden
620a
Isaac Gibbs

Garden and river
621
William King
Joseph Munnings
Tenement and garden

William King
William Pizzey


William King
John Welton

622
John Moss jnr
James Nicholas
Tenement and garden
623
Lord Huntingfield
Edward Dewing
Field
624
Ebenezer Haxell
Daniel Smith
Cottage and garden
625
Charles Crampin
John Manning
Tenement and garden
626
Charles Crampin
Samuel Prike
Tenement and garden
627
Charles Crampin
Thomas Ralph
Tenement and garden
628
Nathaniel Cockerell
Himself
Tenement and garden
629
Nathaniel Cockerell
John Cockerell
Tenement and garden
630
Nathaniel Cockerell
Empty
Tenement and garden
631
Nathaniel Cockerell jnr
Himself
Sheds and yard
631a
John Moss snr
Edward Podd
Tenement and garden
632
John Munnings
Himself
Garden
633
Samuel Prike
Himself
Garden
634
Parish of Leiston
Andrew Ralph
Cottage and garden


A hundred years later, Coldford Green had become transmuted into Coldfair Green with a vastly increased population. Two fords are indicated, one is the main road crossing from Leiston into Haslewood and the other is in to the west of this, in Knodishall. Between the two fords is a large tract of impounded water of the Hundred River. An annual fair was held here until the early part of the 20th century. This custom has recently been revived.

coldford_green1880s.jpg
Coldfair Green in the 1880s (OS map 1884)


The next major development came in the early 1950s when a large new housing development was proposed south of the river in Haselwood. This has now been incorporated, together with Coldfair Green itself, into the civil parish of Knodishall.

haselwood_1953.jpg
1952: Proposed housing development south of the Hundred River