A community perspective from the 1840s to 1920s contains entries for the community from the Suffolk Directories of White (1844) and Kelly (1929) and William Dutt’s gazeteer of Suffolk (1927; first prepared in the 1890s)
White

KNODISHALL, a scattered village, including Coldfair Green, from 3.5 to 4.5 miles S.E. of Saxmundham, and N.N.W. of Aldborough, has in its parish 397 souls and 1731 acres of land, including the hamlet of Buxlow, which was anciently a separate parish, and had a church, the site of which is now a garden. The manor of Knodishall was for a long period held by the Jenney family, and was lately purchased by Thomas Mayhew, Esq., but the greater part of the soil belongs to James Newson, Esq., (owner of the Manor House, &c.,) Mrs. Whitaker, the Rev. Sir T. G. Cullum (owner of the Hall farm,) the Executors of the late Richard Fennell, Mr. R. G. Moor, and several smaller owners ; and a small part of the parish is in the manor of Leiston. The Church (St. Lawrence) is an ancient structure, with a tower and south porch. The Rectory of Knodishall-cum-Buxlow, valued in K.B. at £11, and in 1835, at £350, is in the patronage of Mrs. Whitaker, of Scole Lodge, Norfolk, and incumbency of the Rev. George Ayton Whitaker, M.A., who built anew Rectory House about six years ago, and has 13A. of glebe.

Marked *are at Coldfair Green.
* Cockrell Nathaniel, victualler and butcher, Butchers' Arms
* Elenger James, parish clerk
* Oilee Nathaniel, corn miller
* Watling John, flour & corn dealer
Whitaker Rev. George Ayton, M.A. Rectory

FARMERS
Backhouse Philomon
Barber Thomas Geo. Knodishall Hall
Clayton Wm. Mannells
Cooper James, Red House
* Hunt James
Johnson Henry
Oilee Joseph
Sewell John, Manor House


Kelly

Knodishall-cum-Buxlow is a parish and village, 1 mile south-west from Leiston station on the Aldeburgh branch of the London and North Eastern railway and 3.5 south-east-by-east from Saxmundham, in the Eye division of the county, Blything hundred, petty sessional division and union, Halesworth and Saxmundham county court district, rural deanery of Saxmundham, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich. The church of St. Lawrence is a building of flint with stone dressings in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry and a western tower containing one bell; there is a brass in the chancel wall to the Jenney family, dated 1400: the windows are partly stained: the interior was renovated in 1845, at the expense of the late Rev. George Ayton Whitaker M.A. rector from 1835, who in 1838 built a vestry: in 1878 the chancel roof was entirely renewed and is now open timbered; in 1902 the church was entirely reseated in oak at cost of about £200, and an organ chamber was erected in 1907 at a cost of £60, and in 1909 an organ was placed in the church and the font restored: there are 116 sittings. The register dates from the year 1566. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £474, with 16 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of The Church Association Trust, and held since 1929 by the Rev. Frederick Augustus Watney, of Durham University, who resides at Leiston. Knodishall Hall, formerly the property of the Jenney family, was burnt down about 1860, but has been rebuilt, and is now a farm house. The chief landowners in the parish are Lord Huntingfield and Capt. F. C. U. Vernon-Wentworth C.B., B.N., D.L., J.P. The soil is good loam, but the eastern boundary approaching the sea is rather a light soil: subsoil, chiefly clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots, and there is some land in pasture. The area is 1,850 acres; the population in 1921 was 537.

Buxlow was formerly a separate parish, but is now part of Knodishall.

COLD FAIR GREEN is a hamlet, partly in this parish and partly in the parish of Leiston, 1.25 miles south-east. Here is a church mission room, built 1896-7 at a cost of £250, seating 300 persons: there is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Post Office, Cold Fair Green. Letters through Saxmundham. Aldringham is the nearest M. O. office & Leiston is the nearest T. office.

Dutt

Knodishall church ( 1 m. S.W. of Leiston) . Chancel is Dec. (with new roof); tower Perp.; nave has been almost entirely rebuilt with brick.