A community perspective from the 1840s to 1920s contains entries for the community from the Suffolk Directories of White (1844) and Kelly (1929) and William Dutt’s gazeteer of Suffolk (1927; first prepared in the 1890s)


White

HEVENINGHAM, or Haveningham, a pleasant scattered village on an eminence, 5.5 miles S.W. of Halesworth, and 7 miles N.E. by N. of Framlingham, has in its parish 417 souls, and about 1900 acres of land. The manor was held by Walter Fitz-Robert, who, in 1198, gave the advowson of the church to St. Neot's priory. 1t was afterwards the lordship of a family of its own name, and passed from them about 1700 to that of Bence. It afterwards passed to the predecessor of Sir Joshua Vanneck, who, in 1796, was raised to an Irish peerage by the title of Baron Huntingfield, of Heveningham, and died in 1816, when he was succeeded by his son, Joshua Vanneck, the present Lord Huntingjfield, who was born in 1778, and married a daughter of C. Arcedeckne, Esq., in 1810, and, in 1817, a daughter of Sir Charles Blois. Sir R. S. Adair and a few smaller owners have estates in the parish. Heveningham Hall,the magnificent residence of Lord Huntingfield,.stands in an extensive park, which is partly in the adjoining parish of Huntingfield, and distant about 4 miles S.W. of Halesworth. The present mansion was commenced about 1778, by Sir Gerard Vanneck, elder brother of the late baron, from the designs of Sir Robert Taylor, but finished by Mr. James Wyatt. The west end, erected from the designs of the latter, is in a much more tasteful style than the other parts of the edifice. The front, about 200 feet in length, is adorned with Corinthian columns, and otherwise chastely ornamented. The whole building is covered with a composition which has the appearance of very white freestone. Seated on a rising ground, it appears to great advantage from various parts of the park, which comprises more than 600A., and abounds in fine plantations. The rivulet, which is one of the principal sources of the Blythe, divides the park into two nearly equal parts, and forms a noble sheet of water in front of the house. The interior of the mansion contains a fine collection of paintings of Dutch, Flemish, and other masters, and the avenue that leads to it from the porter's lodge, is of great length and uncommon beauty. The ancient mansion, which stood on the Huntingfield side of the park, was a romantic baronial residence, with a gallery continued the whole length of the building, and opening upon a balcony over the porch. Its great hall was built round six straight, massy oaks, which upheld the roof as they grew, and upon which the foresters and yeomen of olden times used to hang their crossbows, hunting poles, &c. Queen Elizabeth was entertained here by Lord Hunsdon, and near its site is Queen's Oak, under which she is said to have shot a buck with her own hand. This venerable oak, now verging fast to decay, at the height of seven feet from the ground, has measured nearly eleven yards in circumference ; being now hollow, it has shrunk considerably, and is " bald with dry antiquity." The late Lord Huntingfield ornamented the whole country round his splendid residence with plantations of oak, beech, chesnut, and other trees. The Church (St. Margaret) is a small neat fabric, with a tower and five bells, and was new roofed in 1833 at the cost of £300. The benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 6s. 8d., and in 1835 at £436. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. Henry Owen, M.A, is the incumbent, and has a good residence and 40A. of glebe. The yearly value of the glebe and tithe-rent is now about £550. The Town and Poor Estate have been vested from an early period for the reparation of the church and highways, the relief of the poor, and such other public and charitable uses, as to the trustees should seem meet. They comprise five tenements and gardens, let for £10. 5s; a house and 4A., let for £6; and a farm of 52A. in Badingham, let for £63 a-year. The rents are applied in the service of the church ; in payment of the clerk's salary ; £6 towards the support of a Sunday School, and in occasional payments to the constable and the surveyors of the highways ; and the surplus is divided among the poor parishioners. The trustees have also a rent-charge of 10s., and another of 3s. per annum, from building sites belonging to the trust estates.

Lord Huntingfield, Heveningham Hall
Baxter Artis, gamekeeper
Edwards Thos. boot & shoe maker
Fisk John, tailor
Giles John, vict. While Lion
Goldsmith Geo. brick & tile maker
Harrold James, schoolmaster
Howard John, boot and shoe maker
Malpuss Mr James
Owen Rev Henry, MA.. Rectory
Prime George, grocer and draper
Threadkill Joseph, wheelwright

BLACKSMITHS
Grayson Sarah
Harden Thomas

FARMERS.
Andrews Chas.
Fisher Garnham
Goodwin Wm.
Jewell Wm.
Ladbrook Joshua
Moore Robert
Read James
Stevenson Geo.
Walne Robert
Watts Robert


Kelly

HEVENINGHAM is a parish and village on the river Blyth, 5 miles south-west-by-west from Halesworth station on the Ipswich and Lowestoft section of London and North Eastern railway, in the Eye vision of the county, Blything hundred, petty sessional division and union, Halesworth and Saxmundham in county court district, rural deanery of South Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of St. Edundsbury and Ipswich. The church of St. Margaret is an ancient building of flint in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the church has a fine oak roof, with figures of the twelve apostles carved on the ends of the beams: there are several stained windows, including one to Rev, Henry Owen, rector from 1838: in the south aisle is a recumbent effigy of Sir Richard Heveningham date uncertain: a carved stone reredos was erected 1899 in memory of Lord and Lady Huntingfield (d.1897): a new organ was given in 1900 by the Hon. Anne and the Hon. Frances Vanneck, and in 1920 a memorial tablet was erected to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the church was restored in 1866-7, and affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1550. the living is a rectory, net yearly value £467, including 40 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1909 by the Rev. Robert Dewe M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The parochial charities, of about £78 yearly value, were revised in 1858 by the Court of Chancery, and again in Jan. 1899, by the Charity Commissioners, and are applied to church purposes, the support of the schools, the relief of the poor and the maintenance of the highways. Heveningham Hall, the seat of Lord Huntingfield is a spacious mansion in the Classic style, begun in 1778 from the designs of Sir Robert Taylor, and completed from designs by James Wyatt, architect ; the principal front, nearly 300 feet in length, is adorned in the centre by columns of the Corinthian order, and otherwise richly embellished; the mansion is surrounded by a finely-timbered park of over 300 acres. Lord Huntingfield is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is heavy and very fertile; The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips, beans and some land in pasture. The area is 1,669 acres; the population in 1921 was 208.

Post Office. Letters through Halesworth. Peasenhall is the nearest M. O.& T. office
Carrier to Halesworth - Mrs Hennings, daily.

Dutt

Heveningham Hall (Lord Huntingfield ) is about 6 m. S.W. of Halesworth. It is a fine house, with a wide front in the Corinthian style, standing on an eminence overlooking the River Blythe, which here widens into a lake. It was built in 1778 near the site of an earlier home of the Heveningham family. The Heveninghams, according to Suckling, first emerge from obscurity in 1271, when the king granted to Sir Philip de Heveningham freewarren in his manor of Heveningham and elsewhere; but the family claim to be able to trace their descent from Galtir Heveningham, who was lord of the manor in the reign of Canute. The church appears to have been originally Dec., but is now mainly Perp. Note (1) the nave roof, which has figures of the apostles at the ends of the beams; (2) an oaken effigy of Sir John Heveningham, date about 1450; and (3) the chancel windows.