A community perspective from the 1840s to 1920s contains entries for the community from the Suffolk Directories of White (1844) and Kelly (1929) and William Dutt’s gazeteer of Suffolk (1927; first prepared in the 1890s)


White

FROSTENDEN, a scattered village, from 4 to 5 miles N. by W, of Southwold, and 8 miles E. N. E. of Halesworth, and S.S.E. of Beccles, has in its parish 428 souls, and 1291A. 3R. 35P. of fertile land. The manor was formerly held by the De la Poles, afterwards by the Howards, Morses, and Glovers, and now by the Dean and Chapter of Westminster ; but a great part of the soil belongs to J. F. Vincent. Esq., the Rev. James Carlos, (of Frostenden Grove, ) Mr. D. Riches, and several smaller owners. The Church (All Saints) is an ancient fabric, with a round tower ; and the living is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £12 and now having 26A. of glebe, and a yearly modus of £372. Thos. Barne, Esq., is patron ; and the Rev. Richd. Gooch incumbent ; but the next presentation has been sold to the Rev. Jas. Read. The Church Land, 11A. lR. 24P, is let for £26. 15s. a year, which is applied towards the repairs of the church. The Poor's Allotment, 4A 2R., awarded at the enclosure, in 1799, is let for £7. 10s. a year, which is applied in distributions of coals among the poor parishioners.

Aldred Jeremiah, brick, tile, and earthenware manufacturer
Anguish Robert, blacksmith
Baker John, bricklayer
Carlos Rev James, Frostenden Grove
Eeles Mrs Eliza, Ivy Cottage
Gooch Rev Richard, rector
Pells Wm. wheelwright
Riches Daniel, jun. shipowner, surveyor, and land agent
White Miss Sophia
Wingard Wm. beerhouse

FARMERS.
Adams Robt. Perry John
Hingeston James (chief constable)
Riches Daniel (and owner)


Kelly

FROSTENDEN in a village and parish, 5 miles south-east from Brampton station on the Ipswich and Lowestoft section of the London and North Eastern railway, 8 north-east from Halesworth station and 4 north-west from Southwold, in the Lowestoft division of the county, Bything hundred, petty sessional division and union, county court district of Halesworth and Saxmundham, rural deanery of North Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich. The church of All Saints, erected in the 13th century, is a building of flint and stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and round embattled western tower containing 3 bells; there are 160 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, united with that of South Core, joint net yearly value £550, and residence, rebuilt in 1892, in the gift of J.F.B. Ewen esq. and held since 1905 by the Rev. John Williams Fawcett M.A. of Cambridge University. The town estate produces about £26 yearly, which is applied to the repairs of the church. The chief industry is brick, tile and pipe making of good quality. William Nelson Overland esq. who is lord of the manor, and Mrs.E.Girling are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 1,322 acres; the population in 1921 was 402.

Parish Clerk, William Spore.
Letters through Beccles, via Wangford. Wangford is the nearest M.O.& T.office.



Dutt

Frostenden church (4 m. N.W. of Southwold) is Norm. and E.E., with Perp. windows inserted. Note (1) the mouldings of the low-arched E. window; (2) the narrow tower arch; (3) an E.E. angle piscina; and (4) a good Perp. font. Suckling comments on the remarkable fact that in the Conqueror's time "Froxeden" possessed a seaport and a salt-pan. "This 'portus maris,'" he supposes, "must have been situated somewhere in the little valley now called Frostenden Bottom, through which a stream winds its way by S. Cove, and falls into Easton Broad," which must have been connected with the sea. " This circumstance," he adds, " . . . proves how many of the unimportant rivulets which issue from the interior of the county into the German Ocean were navigable for the small craft of early commerce, or ancient predatory warfare.