chapel.jpg
Chediston Street Methodist chapel and two cottages, date unknown

The first map showing Chediston Green as common land is Hodskinson's map of Suffolk, dated 1783. The common had still not been enclosed when the Tithe Map of Chediston was made in the 1840s. This piece of common land amounting to around 11 acres was all that remained of a long process of enclosure of land on either side of the ridgeway crossing the claylands that separated Chediston from Wissett. Evidence from other clayland parishes, such as Westhall, suggests that enclosure began in earnest in the 17th century. The community now known as Chediston Green grew up alongside the green. The oldest timber-framed houses there now date from the 16th and 17th centuries.

Image0023.jpg
Part of Hodskinson's map of Suffolk, 1783.

Image0024.jpg
OS 1970s