Brampton has a railway station; Brampton' has a pleasant hostelry, standing on four crossways, and undoubtedly well known to travellers in the neighbourhood. But take away these two amenities and there seems to be very little in Brampton at all, for as one very often discovers there is really nothing resembling a street or anything similar-that is, if one excepts the habitations close by the station, but which cannot be said to typify the cottages of the countryside, resembling as they do the smaller houses of a town, which, of course, is only to be expected in view of the nature of their situation.

Yet, if Brampton, as a village-speaking in the way that one generally understands the term-has no particular visible existence, it would be wrong to imagine that it lacks the common appeal of the Suffolk countryside, for in point of fact Brampton is placed in very pleasant surroundings. And it is in one of the most enticing positions of all that the house of worship is raised, standing as it does on an eminence, as the guidebooks say-on an eminence and on a corner with towering trees around the churchyard, the latter now fragrant with the simple scent of primrose and viole and overlooking the rich green meadows in whose very appearance there is something rare and refreshing.

A long church-much more so than many others-St. Peter's possesses several features of interest, even although much of its original Early English style has been replaced, notably the tower, which is an excellent example of fifteenth century workmanship. In fact, this tower is quite impressive, and certainly massive, and in quaint contrast to its sturdy splendour, are several tiny windows, so small, in fact, that they seem almost toy-like by comparison.

Then, over the large Western window is a niche where a figure once stood, but having said so much it is advisable to inspect the interior of the church, although on the way we notice that the South porch also possesses an empty niche over the outer entrance, and lancet windows in the walls, whilst the inner door is of the solid, imposing type one associates with the fifteenth century, to which, in fact, it belongs, and even a casual glance reveals that it has suffered little through the passing of the years.

And immediately the inside of the church is gained one is confronted by what is probably the most interesting survival which the building retains. For here is a font of such uncommon design that it immediately attracts the attention, and, although restoration on a somewhat extensive scale has occurred-so much so, that it appears modern rather than old-it still exists as a worthy specimen of the Perpendicular style, whilst the sex-foil and eight-foil carving on the octagonal bowl are responsible for the uncommon style on which I have commented.

A piscina remains in the chancel, and is quite a good specimen, and nearby a window has been lowered to form sedilia. And as we are in chancel it is as well to notice the excellent priest's doorway, dating from the fourteenth century, whilst in the opposite wall is a very fine arched recess.

Much restoration has occurred in Brampton Church, notably in the middle of the last century, when open benches of oak were installed,and a new pulpit and reading-desk erected. Then in 1883 a screen was added, but this latter certainly exhibits some quite artistic carving, so that it assists to beautify the chancel and to prove that modern work can be quite as tasteful as the efforts of the old-time craftsmen.

Several floorstones are in evidence, and amongst them can be seen matrices showing where brasses were affixed originally. But most of the slabs are of much later date, with their inscriptions perfectly legible, and amongst them are some to various members of the Leman family, who have been connected with the parish for many, many years.

And, having said so much, a fitting opportunity is provided of discussing the two manors of Brampton, and of these the far more important is that of Brampton itself, which, towards the end of the thirteenth century, was owned by Alan de Wymundale, who, if he did nothing else, is worthy of remembering in view of the fact that he obtained a grant of a market for the village. After Alan de Wymundale came several owners, until in the latter half of the fifteenth century it was purchased by Sir Roger Townshend, a member of the well-known Norfolk family, and a Justice of the Common Pleas.

A descendant of Sir Roger was present at that stirring sea-fight, where the little English ships-and the English elements-put to flight and shattered the stately galleons of Spain, and for his gallantry on that wonderful occasion he received the honour of knighthood at the hands of Howard himself.

The affray between the seadogs of England and the chivalry of Spain occurred, of course, in 1588, and about this time Brampton Manor was acquired by John Aylmer, Bishop of London, and Samuel Aylmer. They, however, were only here a comparatively short time, as in 1606 we find John Leman in possession, descendant of John de la Mans, who in the fifteenth century fled from his native Netherlands and found sanctuary in England's pleasant soil.

This John Leman, the new owner of Brampton Manor, was fated to play a prominent part in the country of his adoption, and amongst his many good deeds was the founding of the free school at Beccles which bears his name.

It is not only in Suffolk, however, that John Leman has left a reputation of some consequence, for when he acquired the manor of Brampton he was a Sheriff of London, and some ten years later he won for himself an Mary honour which has been bestowed frequently enough on people connected with Suffolk -he was made Lord Mayor of London. And when John Leman attained this distinction, no ordinary ceremony was sufficient to celebrate the occasion, for, being a member of the Fish mongers' Company, his associates naturally considered the honour to enhance, more or less, the dignity of their calling, and to throw a certain reflected glory upon themselves. Thus, they provided a truly impressive pageant-a pageant not merely spectacular, but magnificent in the extreme, and that John Leman was well able to play his part nobly in the affair subsequent events proved.

For soon afterwards he was knighted, and probably in honour of this further social success he held a sumptuous banquet at his residence in the neighbourhood of Billingsgate, a banquet to which he invited many leading people in the land, including members of the Privy Council,and, had not king James been otherwise engaged-in Scotland, as it happened - he would have been there as well, without a doubt.

The end of this popular and wealthy gentleman occurred in 1632, and he was interred in St. Michael's Church in Crooked Lane, where, I believe, the monument erected to his memory can be seen to-day.

Incidentally, Sir John Leman died a bachelor,in which he created something of a record, for not since the end of the 15th century had London possessed a celibate Lord Mayor.

At his death his nephews received his property, and Brampton Manor itself was in the possession of the Lemans until 1807, when the, last of the line died. This was Miss Mary Leman; but even then the name was to be - perpetuated, for she bequeathed the estate to And when a close relation-the Rev. Naunton Thomas - - Orgill, rector of Worlingham and Brampton, who adopted the name and arms of Leman, and, as a point of interest, the manor is still owned by the family.

Having mentioned Miss Mary Leman, it is worthy of notice that a monument to her exists on the South wall of the chancel of Brampton Church, erected "as a memorial of his own gratitude, and of the Virtues of his Benefactress" by the Rev. Mr.Orgill, who, as we have seen, had very good reason to bless her memory. Incidentally, on the opposite wall is another monument to the lady's parents. Robert Leman, who died in 1788, and Mary, daughter of Nunn Pretyman, who left this World some 26 years before her husband.

The original residence of the Lemans is the extensive farmhouse now known as Brampton Old Hall, and although I have described it as extensive now it was obviously much more so in the years gone by. For about 200 years ago a very serious fire occurred at this ancient manor-house, and so firm a hold did it obtain and so tremendous was the damage that much of the building was razed to the ground.

Yet, looking at Brampton Old Hall to-day, it seems impossible to credit the occurrence of such a fierce catastrophe, for, quite definitely, the old Hall is a most imposing place, with its magnificent old chimneys, its roof of thatch, and its general aspect of matured age and colourful dignity. The old Hall, in fact, is one of those fine old farmhouses of Suffolk which seems in some subtle manner to retain all the fragrance, all the beauty of a tinted past, and which brings a touch of old-time grandeur into the more mundane present. Then there is a, moat-or rather, two moats - one surrounding the house itself and another further afield. And it is these pleasant survivals which, so far as Brampton Old Hall is concerned, assist to complete and embellish a picture in which everything is painted with consummate artistry.

In contrast to this fine old place, Brampton Hall itself, standing on ground overlooking the church, is a somewhat plain affair, with that square and comfortable but scarcely picturesque look one associates with the larger houses erected towards the end of the eighteenth century, when, in fact, this new hall came into being. Yet the green grass and the trees help to beautify the building somewhat, for always where Nature reveals her most enchanting moods there is a glory for those who care to seek.

Another manor in Brampton was known as Hales Hall, and although this was only a small affair, and was held of Brampton Manor itself, it has a certain interest, through its association with people of some consequence. It obtained its name from Walter Hales, who was in occupation during the early years of the fourteenth century, but later it became the property of the Dukes, who resided in Brampton in very early times, for we hear of them in the village when the third Edward was King.

And it is, of course, through the Dukes that Hales Hall has a certain link with affairs of some consequence, but perhaps the most interesting item which emerges from their association with Brampton is the fact that one of them was Lord Mayor of London on no fewer than four occasions, and, what is more, on four occasions in succession. The member of the family who attained this signal honour was Roger Duke, and the years of his civic triumphs ranged from 1227 until 1230.

Thus Brampton can claim quite an intimate connection with the story of London Town itself, although, as I have conveyed earlier, Britain's premier city was glad enough on several occasions to avail itself of a Suffolk man or one connected with Suffolk when choosing its leading citizen. And such experiences only prove what many natives of our county persistently aver-that quiet, pleasant Suffolk, with its rippling streams, its green meadows, its tangled woodland, has never been behindhand in producing figures of outstanding importance in many and varied spheres.

YEOMAN. May 18th, 1934